Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, January 19, 2012

2 days at the Ritz followed by 2 nights in the hospital

It's never dull around my house. I like to be always doing something, but somethings you just don't plan for. We got home from the Ritz at Lake Oconee on Thursday evening. Friday I had made plans but had to cancel them when I started suffering from intense stomach pain. I ended up throwing up and feeling better, but then that only added to my "acid esophagus" I still have from the chest radiation. Saturday I went shopping with Alex for a bit, but never quite felt like eating anything, so by dinnertime I was hungry. I made chicken and dumplings and it was sooo good. Sunday morning  we had pancakes, no coffee though, and by mid morning I was in pain again. Bad #10 pain. It lasted all day with no reprieve, so by the evening I emailed my Oncologist to ask what to do. The chemo drug I had taken for the past month can cause severe stomach pain so I thought it could be a side effect. He said to be safe and head to the hospital for a scan. So off we went... checked in, drank the contrast, had a CT scan, got the results: partial small bowel obstruction from adhesion's. Adhesion's is a side effect of the abdominal radiation I had in August to September. They had already started me on IV fluids and now wanted to admit me to stay on the IV and see if that would relieve the blockage without having to do surgery. I stayed there, on IV fluids for ~ 36 hours, adding a liquid only diet the 2nd day. I wasn't in pain anymore and it seemed to be working. Thank goodness! I did not want to go through another abdominal surgery! I'm being a good patient and eating only soft foods and liquids for this whole next week. I want to make sure it doesn't happen again. Cancer has so many negative effects on your body, little by little the treatments wear you down. I'm still feeling the effects of my recent chest radiation and have heartburn daily. I'm just not feeling good right now. But I will! I need to build myself back up! Protein drinks are my new best friend. Working my way back to health.

4 comments:

  1. Sending you these today: http://livinginthe513.blogspot.com/2012/01/spring.html

    Hope you feel better soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. SJN: Oh shoot!! Hoping this problems irons itself out all on its own.

    "Cancer has so many negative effects on your body." Ain't it the truth!

    Be well, sending healing thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you are feeling better! I'm so behind on blog reading - down to following only 24, so maybe I can keep up with you better! Hugs. XOXO

    ReplyDelete

my fans say...