Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

weekend warriors

While Atlanta was experiencing record flooding from all the heavy rain we've had this past week, I was down in sunny Florida redecorating my daughter's house.
She picked me up at the airport and we spent the first day, Saturday, shopping for:
a bench for her foyer, a new rug for under the dining room table, fabric to reupholster her bar stools and dining room chairs, fabric to make curtains for the front window, and... more fabric for a little art project she had in mind for wall art. Oh... and choosing a paint color to paint the foyer and dining room, not always an easy task.

We decided to go with "crab apple" a taupe color by Ralph Lauren (bottom left above), and were very happy with the result!











We wanted to incorporate an earthy feel and hung these $4 square woven place mats on the dining room wall as art (from Pier 1).

Vern Yip's tip: repeat shapes in a space for continuity.

Here's the fabric we added to the chair cushions:

And the bar stools with their new green upholstery:

The foyer bench we found on clearance at Pier 1...

and the curtains we made out of tablecloths from Home Goods for $30. 85" tablecloths hung from a rod with rings and clips, no sewing needed!

The art work is made from a $16 sheet stretched onto plain white canvas. I love the geometric pattern, great idea Kris!

We also painted the previously white mirror black and added $6 worth of black knobs to this chest for a bit of detail.

I think the finished result looks fabulous! One day of hard core shopping and 2 days of painting, and reupholstering and... voila, 2 new rooms!
I had such a good time working with my daughter! And I must say... we're quite the painting duo!

8 comments:

  1. That looks great! You guys did an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute, cute, cute AND tres chic! I do know how difficult it is to choose paint. The last time I did, I chose the wrong hue and it was a disaster. It looked great on the paint sample card, LOL!

    Anyway, job well done. And, I'll bet you two had a blast together...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, you guys were busy!! It all looks fantastic! Love the way you filled the walls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet momma! Looks great!

    SMiles!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sandra, I'm so glad you stopped by my blog today! Yes, I'm in Atlanta! Where not too long ago I think I saw animals lining up 2 X 2!
    Thank you for your comment on my blog. Love all of your blogs. And, I love the sheet art work. Right up my ally!! I know we are going to be great blogger buddies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cool idea with the placemats! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great Mom you are!! It all looks wonderful!
    Thanks for linking to my Room a Month, if you think of it could you link back so others can find it? Thanks! http://theshadesofpink.blogspot.com/2009/09/room-month-shade-tutorial.html

    ReplyDelete

my fans say...