Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

stripping wallpaper... help!

I've done this before and it's never easy. My method: pull down on a loose edge, but there aren't many. For the paper that won't pull off, most of it, scroll over with the roly-cutter then wet the paper with a wet sponge and scrape with a spackle blade. We have our work cut out for us for sure!


What method have you done that actually works?
Please let me know if you have a secret to doing this that's not so labor intensive. But even with all the work, it will be worth it in the end, right?!



6 comments:

  1. Before you begin put down a drop cloth. Open a window slightly for ventilation. Score the paper with the roly-cutter. Then use a spray bottle filled with approx. 1 tablespoon of white vinegar the remainder of the bottle fill with water. Spray the paper let it set for a bit, through trial and error, you'll be able to tell when the paper is loosened and ready to scrape. Then scrape with a wide putty knife. After the paper is removed, wipe down the wall with a damp sponge. And yes, the work WILL be worth the effort! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it is so labor intensive. But yes, so worth it! If I were in Atlanta, I would come help you!! I met with the florist. I'll send you details on what we decided! Thanks for all your help! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. We took off some with a steamer one time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is my blog still out of whack! I hope not! We spray with some sort of solution you buy at Lowe's and then scrape scrape scrape. I gave up after days scraping my entry way and had my handyman do the rest in a short time with a rented steamer. Made the task a lot easier and me so much happier. Our entryway went from the 80s floral wallpaper to the pretty yellowish/gold - can't remember the name- from Benjamin Moore. Only a short year later the paint has lots of little finger prints, so in that case I think wallpaper is better! Just not from the 1980s!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't change anything on my blog lately. It looks perfectly fine to me. What to do?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very excited about my bedroom re-do! We need to have a wallpaper stripping party and get it all done this weekend. Maybe we can trade labor for curtains and get Kelly and Linc to help.

    ReplyDelete

my fans say...